The First freedom : liberty and justice in the world of books and reading / edited by Robert B. Downs.
Writings about book censorship and intellectual freedom by William O. Douglas, Elmer Rice, Havelock Ellis, D.H. Lawrence, Paul Blanshard, Bernard De Voto, Aldous Huxley, Henry Steele Commager, George Bernard Shaw, John Galsworthy, Osbert Sitwell, Heywood Broun, H.L. Mencken, George Jean Nathan, Will...
|Access Note:||Access to electronic resources restricted to Simmons University students, faculty and staff.|
Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
American Library Association,
- We have been here before: a historical retrospect
- The issues at stake
- The courts look at books
- Giving others the courage of our convictions: pressure groups
- Who or what is obscene?
- Political subversion and censorship
- The writers fight back
- The librarians take a stand
- The schools under attack
- Censorship in Ireland
- Books under dictators red and black
- The broad view: past, present, future.