Butch queens up in pumps : gender, performance, and ballroom culture in Detroit / Marlon M. Bailey.
20 years after Paris Is Burning, a rare look at Ballroom culture-from the inside.
|Access Note:||Access to electronic resources restricted to Simmons University students, faculty, and staff.|
Access limited to one user at a time.
Ann Arbor :
University of Michigan Press,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction : performing gender, creating kinship, forging community
- "Ain't nothing like a Butch queen" : the gender system in ballroom culture
- From home to house : ballroom houses, platonic parents, and overlapping kinship
- "It's gonna get severe up in here" : ball events, ritualized performance, and black queer space
- "They want us sick" : ballroom culture and the politics of HIV/AIDS.