Butch queens up in pumps : gender, performance, and ballroom culture in Detroit / Marlon M. Bailey.
"Butch Queens Up in Pumps examines Ballroom culture, in which inner-city LGBT individuals dress, dance, and vogue to compete for prizes and trophies. Participants are affiliated with a house, an alternative family structure typically named after haute couture designers and providing support to...
Ann Arbor, Michigan :
University of Michigan Press,
- Introduction : performing gender, creating kinship, forging community
- "Ain't nothing like a Butch queen" : the gender system in ballroom culture
- From home to house : ballroom houses, platonic parents, and overlapping kinship
- "It's gonna get severe up in here" : ball events, ritualized performance, and black queer space
- "They want us sick" : ballroom culture and the politics of HIV/AIDS
- Epilogue: The future of ballroom culture.