Trauma and race : a Lacanian study of African American racial identity / Sheldon George.
African American identity is racialized. And this racialized identity has animated and shaped political resistance to racism. Hidden, though, are the psychological implications of rooting identity in race, especially because American history is inseparable from the trauma of slavery. In Trauma and R...
Waco, Texas :
Baylor University Press,
- Introduction: Race today, or Alterity and jouissance
- Race and slavery : theorizing agencies beyond the symbolic
- Conserving race, conserving trauma : the legacy of W.E.B. Du Bois
- Approaching the thing of slavery : Toni Morrison's Beloved
- The Oedipal complex and the mythic structure of race : Ellison's Juneteenth and Invisible man
- Conclusion: Beyond race, or The exaltation of personality.