Using massive digital libraries : a LITA guide / Andrew Weiss.
"The creation of massive digital libraries is your existential crisis. After all, some say they may lead to the demise of traditional libraries. Recognizing libraries as a "big idea" that has been implemented in many ways over thousands of years, author Andrew Weiss is not so gloomy....
ALA TechSource, An imprint of the American Library Association,
- Part I. Background issues. The history of digital libraries (or: how did we get here?)
- Chapter 2: The concept of a massive digital library (or: where are we?)
- Chapter 3: The major players & their characteristics (or: who's at the party?)
- Chapter 4: Current impact of MDLs on libraries and librarianship (or: how do I deal with this?)
- Part II: The philosophical issues. Chapter 5: The copyright conundrum
- Chapter 6: Collection development (or: how did I get this?)
- Chapter 7: Diversity of content (or: why is this missing?)
- Chapter 8: Access (or: why can't I get this?)
- Part III: Practical applications. Chapter 9: Using the MDL in libraries
- Chapter 10: Case studies of MDLs.