Ar'n't I a woman? : female slaves in the plantation South / Deborah Gray White.
"This new edition of Ar'n't I a Woman? reviews and updates the scholarship on slave women and the slave family, exploring new ways of understanding the intersection of race and gender and comparing the myths that stereotyped female slaves with the realities of their lives. Finally, th...
New York :
- Chapter 1 Jezebel and Mammy: The Mythology of Female Slavery 27
- Chapter 2 The Nature of Female Slavery 62
- Chapter 3 The Life Cycle of the Female Slave 91
- Chapter 4 The Female Slave Network 119
- Chapter 5 Men, Women, and Families 142
- Chapter 6 From Slavery to Freedom 161.