Dickens and the rise of divorce : the failed-marriage plot and the novel tradition / Kelly Hager.
"Questioning a literary history that, since Ian Watt's Rise of the Novel, has privileged the courtship plot, Kelly Hager proposes an equally powerful but overlooked narrative focusing on the failed marriage. Hager maps the legal history of marriage and divorce, providing crucial background...
Farnham, England ; Burlington, Vt. :
- Contextualizing the failed-marriage plot: Ian Watt, the domestic novel, and the law of marriage
- Monstrous marriage in early Dickens
- Making a spectacle of yourself, or, marriage as melodrama in Dombey and son
- Estranging David Copperfield
- Hard times and the indictment of marriage.