Poverty in America / Catherine Reef.
A history of poverty in the United States from the colonial era to the present chronicles the experiences of the poor, provides excerpts from writings about the problem, documents attitudes, and describes events.
New York :
Facts on File,
|Series:||American experience (Facts on File, Inc.)
Table of Contents:
- ch. 1. The deserving poor in colonial America : 1601-1775
- ch. 2. Industrialization, immigration, and urban poverty : 1790-1864
- ch 3. "Who can describe their misery?" : poverty and American slavery : 1619-1865
- ch. 4. Charity reconsidered : 1865-1900
- ch. 5. Social research and recommendations : 1900-1928
- ch. 6. The poor take center stage : 1929-1941
- ch. 7. The invisible mass : 1940-1962
- ch. 8. The war on poverty and its aftermath : 1962-1980
- ch. 9. The years of welfare reform : 1981-1996
- ch. 10. Poverty endures : 1997-2006
- Appendix A : Documents
- Appendix B : Biographies of major personalities
- Appendix C : Maps
- Appendix D : Graphs and tables
- Bibliography-- Index.