Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs : challenging myths, assessing theories, individualizing interventions / Ann A. Abbott, editor.
The misuse of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs has severe emotional and financial consequences for users, their families, and society. The collective effects are often devastating, because the magnitude of the problems associated with alcohol, tobacco, and drug dependency (ATOD) is far-reaching. So...
Washington, DC :
- Prologue: preparing workers for a response to the challenges of ATOD / Ann A. Abbott
- Context of practice: myths, realities, and quagmires related to alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs / Ann A. Abbott
- Selecting perspectives and theories for ATOD practice / Gwenelle S. O'Neal
- Values, ethics, and ethical dilemmas in ATOD practice / Ann A. Abbott
- Dynamics and physiology of drug use / Raymond Bolden, Jr.
- Tobacco use and nicotine dependence / Raymond Bolden, Jr.
- The challenges of co-occurring disorders / Laura Blankertz, Gwenelle S. O'Neal
- The journey of planned change / Sharon C. Lyter, Ann A. Abbott
- Assessment: tools for successful navigation of planned change / Anna A. Abbott
- New strategies for intervention with individuals / Langdon Holloway
- Group strategies in ATOD treatment / Sharon C. Lyter, Lloyd L. Lyter
- Family intervention strategies / Steven M. Granich, Michael D. Paulus
- The important role of prevention / David I. Siegel
- Epilogue: where do we go from here? Confronting upcoming ATOD challenges / Ann A. Abbott.