The promise of welfare reform : political rhetoric and the reality of poverty in the twenty-first century / Keith M. Kilty, Elizabeth A. Segal, editors.
Presents articles from 23 community practitioners and researchers who challenge the "reform" that has turned public aid from a right to a privilege.
New York :
Table of Contents:
- Looking up the slippery slope : lessons from a lifetime of trying to figure out and fight poverty / Ann Withorn
- Neither accidental, nor simply mean-spirited : the context for welfare reform / Mimi Abramovitz
- Welfare reform : forward to the past / Alfred L. Joseph, Jr.
- Welfare reform in historical perspective / Joel Blau
- Lessons from Vermont / Margaret K. Nelson
- Welfare reform and the transformation of the U.S. welfare state / Michael Reisch
- Living economic restructuring at the bottom : welfare restructuring and low-wage work / Sandra Morgen [and others]
- Welfare reform and the American dream / Laura R. Peck, Sarah Allen Gershon
- Welfare reform : what's poverty got to do with it? / Keith M. Kilty
- Microenterprise development, welfare reform, and the contradictions of new privatization / Nancy C. Jurik
- Welfare reform and housing retrenchment : what happens when two policies collide? / Jessica W. Pardee
- Changing the face of homelessness : welfare reform's impact on homeless families / Bart W. Miles, Patrick J. Fowler
- Ending single motherhood / Gwendolyn Mink
- Wedlock, worship, and welfare : the influence of right-wing think tanks and the Christian right on welfare reform / Ellen Reese
- Safety and self-sufficiency : rhetoric and reality in the lives of welfare recipients / Lisa D. Brush
- Welfare reform and the safety needs of battered women / Christine C. George
- Ever present, sometimes acknowledged, but never addressed : racial disparities in U.S. welfare policy / Susan T. Gooden, Nakeina E. Douglas
- That old black magic? : welfare reform and the new politics of racial implication / Sanford F. Schram
- The politics of citizenship and entitlement : immigrants, welfare, and the persistence of poverty / Lynn Fujiwara
- Weaving a safety net for immigrants post-PRWORA / Susan F. Grossman [and others]
- Welfare as we should know it : social empathy and welfare reform / Elizabeth A. Segal
- Establishing respect for economic human rights / Kenneth J. Neubeck
- Welfare reform and the power of protest : quantitative tests of Piven and Cloward's "turmoil-relief" hypothesis / Eric Swank.