The Wal-Mart effect : how the world's most powerful company really works-- and how it's transforming the American economy / Charles Fishman.
Wal-Mart is not just the world's largest company--it is the largest company in the history of the world. It is estimated that the company's low prices save American consumers $10 billion a year--but the #1 employer in 37 states has never let a union in the door. Though 70% of Americans now...
New York :
- Who knew shopping was so important?
- Sam Walton's ten-pound bass
- Makin bacon, a Wal-Mart fairy tale
- The squeeze
- The man who said no to Wal-Mart
- What do we actually know about Wal-Mart?
- Salmon, shirts, and the meaning of low prices
- The power of pennies
- Wal-Mart and the decent society
- Epilogue: Peoria, September 2005.