Racism, misogyny, and the Othello myth : inter-racial couples from Shakespeare to Spike Lee / Celia R. Daileader.
Considering texts spanning four centuries, and bridging the Atlantic - from genres as diverse as English Renaissance drama, abolitionist literature, gothic horror and contemporary romance - Daileader questions Anglo-American culture's canonical narratives of inter-racial sex from a variety of p...
Cambridge, UK ; New York :
Cambridge University Press,
- Introduction: Othellophilia
- The heathen with the heart of gold : Othellophilia comes to America
- Holes at the poles : gothic horror and the racial abject
- Sisters in bondage : abolition, amalgamation, and the crisis of female authorship
- Handsome devils : romance, rape, racism, and the rhet(t)oric of darkness
- Invisible men, unspeakable acts : the spectacle of black male violence in modern American fiction
- Conclusion : "White women are snaky" : jungle fever and its discontents.