How homophobia hurts children : nurturing diversity at home, at school, and in the community / Jean M. Baker.
In this compelling and sympathetic volume, the Chair of Arizona's Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Issues Committee and Co-Chair of Wingspan's Youth Services Committee breaks down the myths surrounding homosexuality that still pervade many schools and school playgrounds. Making her argument from the p...
New York :
Harrington Park Press,
|Series:||Haworth gay & lesbian studies.
- Shame can shatter their dreams
- Myths and fallacies
- Identity development
- Coming out
- Parents and families coming out
- For all parents
- What happens to gay children at school?
- Students tell us how schools can help
- How individuals with the school system can help gay students
- Gay youth support groups
- A school climate survey
- Transcending the stigma
- Enlightened mayor seeks acceptance for gay youth
- Legal and social policy barriers and how they affect gay children
- Transgender identity
- Personal stories of transsexuals growing up
- The tipping point.