Jane Addams and the dream of American democracy : a life / Jean Bethke Elshtain.
In this ... interpretation of the life and work of quintessential "public intellectual" Jane Addams (1860-1935), [the author] explores Addams's legacy thematically and chronologically, recounting Addams's embrace of "social feminism," her challenge to the usual cleavage...
New York :
- The snare of preparation
- One pilgrim's progress
- Imagining Hull-House
- The family claim and the social claim
- Compassion without condescension : the child and the city
- Woman's remembering heart
- Life has marked us with its slow stain : the war at home
- Solidarity which will not waver : Jane Addams in war and peace.