Champions of charity : war and the rise of the Red Cross / John F. Hutchinson.
In Champions of Charity, John Hutchinson argues that while they set out with a vision to make war more humane, the world's Red Cross organizations soon became enthusiastic promoters of militarism and sacrifice in time of war. In World War I, national Red Cross societies became enthusiastic wart...
- Introduction: The Sacred Cow and the Skeptical Historian
- 1. A Happy Coincidence
- 2. The Delegates of Humanity
- 3. Trial by Combat
- 4. Humanity and Patriotism
- 5. Organizing for War
- 6. Victory and Virtue
- 7. New Wine and Old Bottles
- Conclusion: Champions of Charity.