Harriet Jacobs and Incidents in the life of a slave girl : new critical essays / edited by Deborah M. Garfield, Rafia Zafar.
"Harriet Jacobs, today perhaps the single most read and studied black American woman of the nineteenth century, has notuntil now - been the subject of sustained, scholarly analysis. This anthology presents a far-ranging compendium of literary and cultural scholarship that is sure to become the...
Cambridge ; New York, NY, USA :
Cambridge University Press,
|Series:||Cambridge studies in American literature and culture ;
- Introduction : over-exposed, under-exposed : Harriet Jacobs and Incidents in the life of a slave girl / Rafia Zafar
- "I disguised my hand" : writing versions of the truth in Harriet Jacobs's Incidents in the life of a slave girl and John Jacobs's "A true tale of slavery" / Jacqueline Goldsby
- Through her brother's eyes : Incidents and "A true tale" / Jean Fagan Yellin
- Resisting Incidents / Frances Smith Foster
- Manifest in signs : the politics of sex and representation in Incidents in the life of a slave girl / P. Gabrielle Foreman
- Earwitness : female abolitionism, sexuality, and Incidents in the life of a slave girl / Deborah M. Garfield
- Reading and redemption in Incidents in the life of a slave girl / Sandra Gunning
- Harriet Jacobs, Frederick Douglass, and the slavery debate : bondage, family, and the discourse of domesticity / Donald B. Gibson
- Motherhood beyond the gate : Jacobs's epistemic challenge in Incidents in the life of a slave girl / John Ernest
- "This poisonous system" : social ills, bodily ills, and Incidents in the life of a slave girl / Mary Titus
- Carnival laughter : resistance in Incidents / Anne Bradford Warner
- Harriet Jacobs, Henry Thoreau, and the character of disobedience / Anita Goldman
- The tender of memory : restructuring value in Harriet Jacobs's Incidents in the life of a slave girl / Stephanie A. Smith
- Conclusion : vexed alliances : race and female collaborations in the life of Harriet Jacobs / Deborah M. Garfield.