Freedom of book selection : proceedings of the second Conference on Intellectual Freedom, Whittier, California, June 20-21, 1953 / sponsored by the Committee on Intellectual Freedom, the Book Acquisitions Committee, and the Board on Acquisition of Library Materials of the American Library Association ; edited by Fredric J. Mosher.
|Format:||Conference Proceeding Book|
American Library Association,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction / Paul Bixler
- Areas of controversy. Science and pseudo-science / Louis N. Ridenour ; Morality and obscenity / Eric Larrabee ; Politics and subversion / Harold D. Lasswell
- The responsibility of choice. The administrator's problem / Virgil M. Rogers ; The publisher's responsibility / Douglas M. Black ; The responsibility of the literary critic : some indirections for selecting good books / Paul Jordan-Smith ; The librarian's responsibility : not censorship, but selection / Lester E. Asheim
- Summaries of discussion group meetings. Small public libraries ; Large public libraries ; College and university libraries ; School libraries
- Appendix A: The freedom to read
- Appendix B: President Eisenhower's letter on intellectual freedom.