The promised end; essays and reviews, 1942-1962.
World Pub. Co.
Table of Contents:
- John Steinbeck: of invertebrates and men
- Henry Thoreau
- Notes on the organic unity of John Peale Bishop
- A manifesto from "The deflowering of New England"
- Melville the scrivener
- Psychoanalysis and the climate of tragedy
- Jesting at Sears
- From Bali to Geselland
- The Dead Sea scrolls
- A critical look at psychology
- The dialectic of Christianity
- The Oxford classical dictionary
- The standard dictionary of folklore
- Words and sensibilities
- The Oxford dictionary of the Christian church
- The child ballads
- The symbols of folk culture
- The ritual view of myth and the mythic
- American Negro literature and the folk tradition
- The problem of Jewish identity
- Some trends in the novel
- The tragic vision
- Stances toward mass culture.