Social welfare or social control? : some historical reflections on Regulating the poor / edited by Walter I. Trattner.
University of Tennessee Press,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction / Walter I. Trattner
- The functions of public welfare in late-eighteenth-century Philadelphia : Regulating the poor? / John K. Alexander
- The abolition of public outdoor relief, 1870-1900 : A critique of the Piven and Cloward thesis / Raymond A. Mohl
- The widows' pension movement, 1900-1930 : Preventive child-saving or social control? / Muriel W. Pumphrey and Ralph E. Pumphrey
- The formative years of social security : A test case fo the Piven and Cloward thesis / W. Andrew Achenbaum
- Social control and historical explanation : Historians view the Piven and Cloward thesis / James Leiby
- Humanitarianism in history : A response to the critics / Frances Fox Piven and Richard A. Cloward.