Looking on : images of femininity in the visual arts and media / edited by Rosemary Betterton.
This collection of articles by feminist writers explores the different ways in which images of women in advertising, magazines, fine art, fashion, and pornography continue to influence commonly-held perceptions of femininity and female sexuality. They show how these images are constantly being rewor...
London ; New York :
|Series:||Pandora Press popular culture critical readers.
- Introduction : feminism, femininity and representation
- Section one : Advertising femininity : theoretical perspectives
- Handling sex / Janice Winship
- What's wrong with images of women? / Griselda Pollock
- Decoding advertisements / Judith Williamson
- "Sexual liberation" and the family / Rosalind Coward
- Fashion 'n' passion / Kathy Myers
- Section two : Changing stereotypes? : women and sexuality
- The Magdalen in modern times : the mythology of the fallen woman in Pre-Raphaelite painting / Lynn Nead
- Hateful contraries : media images of Asian women / Pratibha Parmar
- The Page Three girl speaks to women, too / Patricia Holland
- Revising femininity? : Review of Lady, photographs of Lisa Lyon by Robert Mapplethorpe / Susan Butler
- "A girl needs to get street-wise" : magazines for the 1980s / Janice Winship
- Section three : Pornography : the politics of representation
- Pornography / Mandy Merck
- Interview with Andrea Dworkin / Elizabeth Wilson
- Between the devil and the true blue Whitehouse / Ruth Wallsgrove
- What is pornography? : two opposing feminist viewpoints / Rosalind Coward and WAVAW
- Porn, law, politics / Mary Bos and Jill Pack
- Towards a feminist erotica / Kathy Myers
- Section four : New images for old : the iconography of the body
- The discourse of the body / Laura Mulvey and Peter Wollen
- How do women look? : the female nude in the work of Suzanne Valadon / Rosemary Betterton
- The body politic : female sexuality and women artists since 1970 / Lisa Tickner
- Censored : feminist art that the Arts Council is trying to hide / Rozsika Parker
- We will be / Lubaina Himid
- New portraits for old : the use of the camera in therapy / Rosy Martin and Jo Spence.