The First freedom today : critical issues relating to censorship and intellectual freedom / edited by Robert B. Downs and Ralph E. McCoy.
American Library Association,
Table of Contents:
- Ch. 1. Historical background
- Ch. 2. New views of the First amendment
- Ch. 3. Schools under siege: School censorship cases. Banning textbooks. Books and materials selection for school libraries and classrooms
- Ch. 4. Librarians fight back
- Ch. 5. How did it all begin?: The science-textbook controversies. Creationism in schools: the decision in McLean vs. The Arkansas Board of Education. Creationism: Genesis vs. geology. Creationism, curriculum
- Ch. 7. Who or what is obscene?: On obscenity, Obscenity and the Consititution. Obscenity, censorship, and the nondoctrinaire liberal
- Ch. 8. The press under pressure: Governnment secrecy versus the people's right to know. Libel and the invasion of privacy. Free press versus fair trial. Radio and television under the First Amendement.