The world of Buddhism : Buddhist monks and nuns in society and culture / texts by Richard Gombrich [and others] ; edited by Heinz Bechert and Richard Gombrich.
Follows the fortunes of Buddhism through time and space, from the founding of the world's largest monastic Order in India 2500 years ago to contemporary America.
New York, N.Y. :
Facts on File,
Table of Contents:
- Foreword / Heinz Bechert
- Introduction: the Buddhist way / Richard Gombrich
- The Buddha, his teachings and his sangha / Etienne Lamotte
- Buddhism in ancient India: The evolution of the sangha / Richard Gombrich
- Mahāyāna Buddhism / Etienne Lamotte
- The monastic contribution to Buddhist art and architecture / Lal Mani Joshi
- Expansion to the north: Afghanistan and central Asia / Oskar Von Hinüber
- Nepal: the survival of Indian Buddhism in a Himalayan kingdom / Siegfried Lienhard
- 'They will be lords upon the island': Buddhism in Sri Lanka / Michael B. Carrithers
- 'To be a Burmese is to be a Buddhist': Buddhism in Burma / Heinz Bechert
- The way of the monk and the way of the world: Buddhism in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia / Jane Bunnag
- 'Beyond the jade gate': Buddhism in China, Vietnam and Korea / Erik Zürcher
- This world and the other power: contrasting paths to deliverance in Japan / Robert K. Heinemann
- Tibet: the rise and fall of a monastic tradition / Per Kvaerne
- Buddhist revival in east and west / Heinz Bechert.